Building Your Culture of Philanthropy
Building a culture of philanthropy for our clients isn’t just a buzz word for us. We believe strongly that just as a for profit business focuses daily on business development at all levels of the company, not-for-profit organizations should have the same pervasive focus on philanthropy – so much so that it becomes a culture within the organization. From your Board to your service providers, each should hold the belief that philanthropy is the engine that keeps your organization running.
Our counsel and guidance is dedicated to building that culture through training, individual and organizational capacity building, assessing current activities and internal readiness for planning or expansion of new or current programs, and determining inspirational and aspirational key messages that engage your donors. In all of our services, we fully prepare our clients to launch philanthropic efforts – from campaigns to major gifts to planned giving to planning overall philanthropic strategy.
Our senior professionals are your hands-on team throughout the process. While other firms assign junior level consultants, The Alford Group’s work with your board and executive team is conducted primarily by senior consultants. Additionally, engagement of your stakeholders, so crucial to cultivation and relationship management efforts, is conducted only by senior consultants with the experience and the sensitivity to gather information and set the stage for cultivation of each prospect in the future. Whether your Board is eager to launch a campaign or just exploring the possibility, or your current philanthropic efforts need a boost, we are ready to help.
- Feasibility/Campaign Planning Studies – engages a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders through a combination of an Oversight Committee, interviews, group discussions and/or surveys to determine the specific campaign dollar goal, review internal readiness to move into the campaign, identify potential donors and campaign leadership, and frame key messages and communication strategies; includes analysis of your organization’s image, the appeal of the campaign components, gift potential, volunteer leadership, climate and timing of the campaign, and the organization’s internal readiness; results in either a Feasibility Study Report or a Campaign Plan. Click here to see ten reasons why you should conduct a pre-campaign study prior to launching a campaign.
- Campaign Planning and Management – guidance that keeps you focused on the campaign, partnering with you to plan for and carry out a successful campaign while still bringing in the annual operating dollars your organization needs to survive. Click here to learn more about how The Alford Group can help you with your current, or next, campaign.
- Development Planning – creation of a detailed, actionable plan for developing revenue streams in a manner that is sustainable and accommodates future stages of growth
- Corporate Partnership Strategy – design of meaningful and impactful relationships between not-for-profits and corporations. Download our Toolkit.
- Major Gifts Counsel – high-level internal assessment and review of both programmatic and operational needs to determine appropriate next steps for creating a major gifts program or personalized guidance on strengthening an existing program
- Planned Giving Counsel – guidance in establishing or enhancing a planned giving program
- Other Philanthropic Program Planning & Management – design, planning and implementation of annual fund, foundation and corporate giving, stewardship, or cultivation and solicitation training programs
- Key Messaging and Case Development – organizing, structuring, editing, and facilitating input and buy-in from key organizational stakeholders to develop key messages and communications strategies.