The Alford Group’s Commitment to Diversity
As a minority and woman-owned firm, The Alford Group is fully committed to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Diversity deals with taking into account the differences of others and having others with differences represented. These differences include race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ability, age, income level, and several others.
Equity is the quality of being fair and impartial. It concerns understanding and addressing the underlying or root causes of outcome disparities within our society. Diversity is not the end game. The end game is creating the space for equity.
Inclusion refers to the degree to which diverse individuals are able to participate fully in the decision-making processes within an organization or group.
AFP International Diversity Partner
One of The Alford Group’s core values is Diversity. Since 1999, we have been the diversity partner with AFP and the AFP Foundation. As the lead sponsor of the AFP International Conference Diversity Workshop and Diversity Art Showcase in New Orleans this year, we hosted the following activities.
2018 Diversity Workshop:
Leveraging Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to Become a Better Fundraiser
Monday, April 16, 2018 | 10:15am – 11:45am | Room 225-227
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values throughout all aspects of our work. How do unconscious bias, structural inequity, and persistent “-isms” keep development professionals from raising much-needed dollars to drive organizational impact?
Tanya M. Odom, Global Consultant
Tanya M. Odom is a global consultant, coach, facilitator, teacher, writer, and thought leader. She has worked globally in over 30 countries as a consultant and facilitator for over two decades focusing on areas including: Diversity and Inclusion, Educational Equity, Mindfulness, Coaching, Inclusive leadership, Girls’ Leadership Development, Mindfulness and Diversity and Inclusion, and Youth Empowerment/mentoring. Tanya’s unique portfolio career has allowed her to work in the education, private sector/corporate, not-for-profit/NGO, law enforcement, and university/college arenas.
Sponsored by The Alford Group and the AFP Inclusion, Diversity, Equality, Access (I.D.E.A.) Committee
2018 Diversity Art Showcase:
This year’s AFP International Conference Diversity Art Showcase was displayed at the AFP Hub located in the Marketplace Exhibit Hall. Here are photos of the prize-winning artwork:
Congratulations to all of our participants!
Sponsored by The Alford Group
- AFP Diversity Resources
- Giving 3.0: Embracing the New Diversity in 21st Century Philanthropy
- Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy
- Association of Black Foundation Executives (ABFE)
- Council on Foundations:
- D5: a five-year coalition to advance philanthropy’s diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Multicultural Advantage
- National Urban League
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Stanford Social Innovation Review (articles):
- Policies, Processes, and Protocols: Three Keys to Building a Diverse Workplace
- The State of Diversity
- Diversity and Generosity
- Nonprofits Don’t Really Care About Diversity
- Fostering a Culture of Diverse Philanthropy
- Building Leadership Diversity: A Call to Action for Philanthropy
- Five Ways to Build Diverse, Inclusive Leadership Teams
- World Literature on Social Innovation: A Quest
- Other articles on Storytelling