Consultant, West Division
The Alford Group is a full-service consulting firm specializing in the not-for-profit sector. We empower organizations to reimagine what it means to make a difference. We help them aim higher, reach further and dream bigger.
As an integral member of The Alford Group’s consulting team, the Consultant works across service lines and participates as a full team member in the full spectrum of client projects, from feasibility studies and campaign design and implementation, to development assessment and data analytics. The consultant supports consulting teams as a primary analyst; a contributor of actionable, data-driven recommendations; a developer of high quality written reports and presentations; and a key project manager. As such, the Consultant is a valued member of every project team on which s/he serves.
As a full-service consulting firm, The Alford Group provides solutions to complex problems related to strategy, fundraising, giving, impact measurement, and organizational development. The Alford Group seeks talented professionals with fundraising or philanthropic experience, as well as those with transferable consulting, communications, marketing, and/or strategic planning experience, to join our dynamic team.
Writing, Research, Analysis and Presentation
In many instances the Consultant serves as one of the key analysts of the primary and secondary research that forms the basis for much of our client work. The Consultant can be expected to perform some or all of the following functions, depending on the scope of the project:
- Serve as the client-facing project manager and the front-line point of contact to client teams
- Serve as a principal writer of work product including research guides, presentations, work plans, case statements, interim and final reports and more
- Develop project timelines, work plans, schedule of deliverable deadlines
- Design, refine, and apply a rigorous, analytical, research approach to client situations to identify solutions that are grounded in evidence and experience
- Gather and code primary qualitative research data. Conduct thematic and quantitative analyses to draw conclusions from data gathered.
- Design, test, and field constituent surveys. Analyze and synthesize survey data. Design new ways to convey conclusions in creative visual ways and to supplement graphs, charts and tables.
- Review materials and reports provided by clients as relates to their fundraising function, strategic plans, governance, etc. and identify weaknesses or inconsistencies with best practices and/or organizational goals
- Design and author high-impact reports and presentations using crisp language and engaging data visualizations
- Oversee Client Service Associate(s) and/or contractual team members working on aspects of client work, including data gathering, report writing, meeting planning, etc.
- Research trends, changes in best practices, products, tools, etc. to inform and improve clients’ work and/or firm methodologies and recommendations
Successful project management is critical to producing quality deliverables on time and on budget for our clients. Managing workflow to deadlines is part of every team member’s role and especially important in the Consultant role. In this capacity the Consultant will:
- Work closely with project leads, project team members and other colleagues to design, plan, coordinate and contribute to the completion of high-quality client work
- Maintain day-to-day workflow of project tasks and deliverables in accordance with timelines and competing priorities
- Prompt action from clients and colleagues on tasks and deliverables to ensure timely completion
- Proactively communicate progress, or lack thereof, against deadlines
- Thoughtfully work with colleagues and clients to track deadlines, resolve issues, and address competing demands
- Prepare materials—such as agendas, Gantt charts, dashboards, and status reports—to support internal team and client team members in advancing progress
- Coordinate meeting preparation and logistics for internal and external appointments
Sales and Marketing
- Leverage networking opportunities to surface sales opportunities
- Represent The Alford Group at industry/social sector events and conferences
- Work with the Business Development Manager to prepare proposals, scopes of work, sales presentations, etc.
- Work with sales leads and the Business Development Manager to design and price services for prospective clients
- Accompany team members on sales calls to close business opportunities
Characteristics of a successful Consultant
- Deadline-oriented, with the ability to anticipate client and team needs and mitigate potential roadblocks
- Detail-oriented, with proven editing capabilities
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Creative eye to the development of engaging presentation of client work, including data visualizations, reports, slide decks, etc.
- Thoughtful of the relationship between style and substance of work product
- Adaptable and able to work simultaneously for numerous project leads
- Strong client-team and project-team service orientation
- Open to and comfortable receiving and giving feedback
- Flexible and willing to handle new and different tasks, including designing and testing new methodology and tools
- Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative data to guide conclusions and recommendations
- Able to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Experience with donor/customer relationship management software
- Experience with survey development and other analytical and fundraising and/or project management software and tools
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and listening skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree preferred in business, non-profit management, public policy, organizational development, or other relevant field of study
- At least five years of relevant professional experience, preferably including a substantive fundraising role with a not-for-profit organization
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication
- Advanced proficiency with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook. InDesign or similar expertise is helpful.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the social sector and not-for-profit organizations and/or philanthropic funders
- Ability to work occasional early mornings, evenings and weekends as required by client and firm engagements
- Some domestic travel will be required. A valid driver’s license is essential for local travel. The Consultant must be able to travel independently, locally and nationally.