Full time position | Seattle/Puget Sound Region | Currently virtual environment
The Alford Group is an equity-forward national full-service consulting firm founded over 40 years ago on the principle that our human differences make the nonprofit sector stronger. To make the world a better place for ALL people, The Alford Group brings insight, rigor and innovation to strengthen the social sector and deepen its impact. Our dedicated and experienced professional team delivers customized strategies and guidance to empower organizations to make a difference and change the world.
As a woman and minority-owned and led firm, The Alford Group strengthens the social sector through equity-forward services and practices and values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Equity, diversity, inclusion, and access at our firm means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
We are seeking a professional with extensive training and experience in guiding organizations and elevating their work to establish and achieve diversity, equity and inclusion goals. Key to The Alford Group’s and our client’s success, the Vice President works across service lines and leads consulting teams in the full spectrum of client engagements and equity forward strategies, through feasibility studies, campaign design and implementation, development assessments, strategic planning, and data analytics. The Vice President is responsible for developing new business, growing client relationships through impactful partnerships, and playing a major role in managing and mentoring staff as it relates to client engagements. The individual will ideally be based in the Seattle/Puget Sound region.
The Alford Group provides solutions to complex problems and opportunities related to strategy, philanthropy, impact measurement, and organizational development. The Alford Group seeks talented professionals with nonprofit and fundraising experience, as well as those with transferable consulting, communications, marketing, and/or strategic planning experience, to join our dynamic team.
Client Relationship and Service Management
- Cultivate and maintain close relationships with clients, prospective clients, and the broader philanthropic, civic, and corporate community.
- Work closely with collegial and highly professional consulting teams to fulfill a wide variety of client assignments, serving as the project lead and delivering service through a multi-level team approach and contribute to service innovation.
- Work with other professionals in the firm to ensure that The Alford Group’s vision, mission, and values are at the forefront of everything it does. Work to improve equity, diversity and inclusion across the sector.
Sales, Marketing and Business Development
- Serve as a representative of The Alford Group and market the firm’s expertise in all service lines and sectors.
- Maximize relationships, networking and speaking opportunities to identify, generate, and pursue leads for new business/revenue expansion. Each position in the firm has specific revenue and sales goals.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of sales opportunities; create a sales pipeline; take the lead in discovery and proposal conceptualization; assist in developing presentation materials; present to potential clients; and negotiate contract terms.
- Speak and conduct presentations in client, sales, and business development venues.
External Relations and Professional Visibility
- Be a recognized leader and respected contributor to the nonprofit sector and offer the firm expertise in an area of specialty that can be well positioned in the field.
- Participate in professional associations and workshops as a member of The Alford Group team.
- Full time position
- Reports to Chief Client Experience Officer
- Ten to fifteen years of progressive, relevant, professional work experience(s) in the nonprofit sector or as a consultant to the sector, with at least seven years of management experience.
- Training and experience in guiding organizations and elevating their work to establish and achieve diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
- Experience working with boards to increase their effectiveness as leaders, connectors, fundraisers and strategic partners and volunteer experience with other nonprofit volunteer organizations.
- Self-disciplined, self-starter with a strong work ethic; ability to work and think independently, evaluating and offering fresh thinking and breakthrough ideas where appropriate; ability to self-motivate and work without close supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to develop new programs/initiatives and expand revenue streams, preferably in a professional services firm.
- Ability to both think strategically and critically as well as synthesize complex information in order to provide client solutions.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to engage productive participation from other project team members as well ability to be flexible and delegate appropriately when working under pressure with competing deadlines.
- Consultative, strategic, and successful selling approach; ability to develop and grow professional relationships, and ability to think entrepreneurially about building a sales network.
- Exceptional communications skills: ability to establish professional rapport with all people and support the firms commitment to commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Outstanding listening skills: ability to listen carefully and to be able to actively advance understanding and communication.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; the ability to write relevant reports and recommendations, tailored to each client’s unique challenges and opportunities.
- A history of success in achieving or exceeding financial goals including managing projects within budget.
- Ability to exemplify Alford Group values – Equity, Creativity, Diversity, Excellence, Integrity, Joyfulness, Leadership and Respect.
- Strong and confident public speaker and facilitator.
- Proficiency and self-sufficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Proficiency and self-sufficiency with project management and customer relationship management (CRM) software.
- Flexible to work occasional early mornings, evenings and weekends as required by client and firm engagements.
- Must be able to travel frequently and independently both locally and nationally.
- Significant experience in raising funds to benefit nonprofit organizations in the Pacific Northwest/Puget Sound region.
- Specialized experience and/or advocacy in developing tools, resources and quantifiable measures of racial equity to eliminate racial injustice.
- An advanced degree or equivalent, and/or CFRE or equivalent relevant certification.
- A history of community service, with experience serving on a nonprofit board strongly preferred.
Confidential Data- Our team members have access to sensitive, confidential information and are trusted to maintain these files and documents properly.
Physical Demands – The position requires sitting and working on a computer for long periods of time as well as occasional lifting and carrying of presentation materials and supplies. Consultants must be able to interact seamlessly with clients through visual, aural, physical and written communications.
Work Environment – Inside average office environment. Average office noise levels. No personal protective equipment required. Currently, working in a virtual environment due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter indicating salary expectations, resume and two relevant writing samples (e.g. reports, plans or proposals that demonstrate fundraising expertise and DEI organizational work, etc.) and three to five references.