Full time position | Seattle, WA Region | Currently virtual environment
As an integral member of The Alford Group’s consulting team, the Client Service Associate (CSA) works across service lines to function as a primary analyst; contributor of actionable, data-driven recommendations; developer of engaging presentations; and key project manager on projects serving all segments of the social sector, including not-for-profits, foundations and impact-driven corporations. As such, the CSA is a valued member of every project team on which they serve.
As a full-service consulting firm, The Alford Group provides solutions to complex problems related to strategy, fundraising, corporate partnerships, giving, impact measurement, and organizational development. The Alford Group seeks talented professionals with fundraising or philanthropic experience, as well as those with transferable consulting, communications, marketing, and/or strategic planning experience, to join our dynamic team.
Research, Analysis and Presentation
In many instances the CSA serves as the primary analyst of the primary and secondary research that forms the basis for much of the firm’s client work. Depending on the scope of the project, the CSA can be expected to perform some or all of the following functions:
- Apply a rigorous, analytical approach to client situations to identify solutions that are grounded in evidence and experience.
- Gather and code primary qualitative research data. Conduct thematic and quantitative analyses to draw conclusions from data gathered.
- Design, test and field constituent surveys. Analyze survey data. Design new ways to convey conclusions in creative visual ways and to supplement graphs, charts and tables.
- Review materials and reports provided by clients as relates to their fundraising function, strategic plans, governance, etc. and identify weaknesses or inconsistencies with best practices and/or organizational goals.
- Serve as a principal writer and proofreader of work product such as presentations, work plans, case statements, final reports and more.
- Design and author high-impact reports and presentations using crisp language and engaging data visualizations.
- Research trends, changes in best practices, products, tools, etc. to inform and improve clients’ work and/or firm methodologies and recommendations.
- Conduct prospect research on individuals, foundations, corporations and other funder types as appropriate.
Successful project management is critical to producing quality deliverables on time and on budget for our clients. Managing workflow to deadlines is part of every consultant role and especially important in the CSA role. In this capacity the CSA will:
- Work closely with project leads, project team members and other colleagues to design, plan, coordinate and contribute to the completion of high-quality client work.
- Maintain day-to-day workflow of project tasks and deliverables in accordance with timelines and competing priorities.
- Prompt action from clients and colleagues on tasks and deliverables to ensure timely completion.
- Proactively communicate progress, or lack thereof, against deadlines.
- Thoughtfully work with colleagues and clients to track deadlines, resolve issues and address competing demands.
- Prepare materials—such as agendas, Gantt charts, dashboards and status reports—to support internal team and client team members in advancing progress.
- Coordinate meeting preparation and logistics for internal and external appointments.
Business Development and Marketing
The CSA will support the firm’s business development and marketing activities of the firm’s consulting staff. In this capacity the CSA may:
- Represent The Alford Group at industry/social sector events and professional conferences and meetings.
- Research and draft content for white papers, blog posts, social media posts, etc. on topics relevant to the social sector.
- Create proposals and presentations for sales purposes.
- Join discovery and business development meetings to capture and interpret needs of potential clients.
- Maintain the firm’s CRM database and generate analysis and reports.
Characteristics of a successful CSA
- Deadline-oriented, with the ability to anticipate client and team needs and mitigate potential roadblocks.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and active listening skills.
- High attention to detail and proven proofreading abilities.
- Ability to take initiative, simultaneously coordinate multiple projects and manage deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team and independently with minimal supervision at times.
- Ability to manage relationships with diverse people, including client staff and high-level volunteers
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Brings a creative eye to the development of engaging presentation of client work, including data visualizations, reports, slide decks, etc.
- Thoughtful of the relationship between style and substance of work product.
- Adapts quickly and can work simultaneously for numerous project leads.
- Open to and comfortable receiving and giving feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree preferred in business, non-profit management, public policy, organizational development or other relevant field of study.
- At least four years of professional experience, with at least two years in the nonprofit sector, preferably with an emphasis on roles in frontline fundraising, communications/outreach and/or grant writing.
- High technical proficiency: MS Office Suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint required; InDesign, Adobe Suite or similar expertise is helpful
- Knowledge of or readiness to learn donor management software, such as Raiser’s Edge and other customer relationship management, wealth screening and survey systems
- Ability to work occasional early mornings, evenings and weekends as required by client and firm engagements
- Some domestic travel may be required. A valid driver’s license is essential for local travel. The CSA must be able to travel independently, locally and nationally.
The Alford Group
The Alford Group is an equity-forward, full-service consulting firm specializing in the not-for-profit sector. We empower organizations to reimagine what it means to make a difference. We help them aim higher, reach further and dream bigger. Our services include fundraising, strategic planning, governance, data analytics, interim staffing, corporate partnership strategy and more.
This is a salaried position with a range of $50,000 to $60,000 based on experience.
Our team members have access to sensitive, confidential information and are trusted to maintain these files and documents properly.
The position requires sitting and working on a computer for long periods of time as well as occasional lifting and carrying of presentation materials and supplies. Consultants must be able to interact seamlessly with clients through visual, aural, physical and written communications.
Inside average office environment. Average office noise levels. No personal protective equipment required. Currently, working in a virtual environment due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Client Service Director
Please submit a cover letter, resume and two relevant writing samples (e.g. stewardship or impact report, donor communications, grant reports, business proposal, etc.) below.